Saturday, April 17, 2010

FINAL BLOG EVER!!!

Despite the blood trickling down from my ears, as I listened to Sarah Brightman, I appreciated the “classical” voice being integrated into the Repo. The perennial topic of how to gain more opera lovers is always up for constant brainstorming and discussion. All I have to say is Sarah Brightman is one of those figures who has helped bridge the gap between popular and classical music whether you like it or not. As is it was said class, if it wasn’t for Brightman, Andrea Bocelli, and maybe Josh Groban, many of us wouldn’t be sitting in this class writing blogs about opera. Thanks to them, some of us were intrigued at an early age to start exploring the grand world of opera.

With that said let’s talk about Repo- the Genetic Opera. I think I could potentially be addicted to it. It wasn’t until last year that I was introduced into the world of graphic novels, The Watchman being the first one I read. Never, ever did I think I would find myself submerged into such a fantastical world of super heroes, but now I understand another reason why I’m drawn to opera. Repo was like watching a graphic novel, only it had singing! Sorry for the digression. Now, going back to the topic of Sarah Brightman. Although the clips we saw were the “dream cast” of the director, I would have casted differently. The fact that it is labeled a rock opera screams to me that it needs to have an eclectic mix of performers, which would tie the operatic and pop cultures together. First of all, I love the charged energy you get from rock music and the fueled rhythm that drives every song. Secondly, I love opera because like rock it can be so extreme and exciting. Juxtaposing the insane dynamics and resonance of opera with the driving force of a rock beat would be AMAZING! Just imagine a soprano singing a D6 executing a messa di voce over a head banging, ear shattering rock beat!!!!!! Again, sorry for the digression.

Casting… Instead of Sarah Brightman for Blind Mag, I would cast Dawn Upshaw (as a genre cross over) and for the role of Rotti Largo I would cast Anthony Hopkins because he’s just stellar as an evil creeper. For the role of Shilo Wallace I would cast either Hayley Williams from Paramore or Amy Lee from Evanescence because both have a big following in the rock genre, especially with the younger crowd. Repo Man, I’m not so sure who I would cast. As I was listening to Zydrate Anatomy I can’t help but wonder if Thomas Hampson couldn’t pull it off, with an opera chorus making George Crumb-like sounds. It would certainly be interesting or maybe I should just cast Rob Zombie?!? Last but not least, I have no clue who I would cast as Amber Sweet, but it definitely would NOT be Paris Hilton!

No comments:

Post a Comment